Our guest today is Sasha Astafyeva, Partner at Atomico. Atomico invests in Europe’s most ambitious tech founders at Series A and beyond. Some of their investments include Farmdrop, Habito, and teatime games. Sasha leads new investments in consumer. Previously, she was a Principal at Felix Capital and VP of Finance and Business Intelligence at VivaReal.
Some of the questions that I ask Sasha are –
- What initially attracted you to venture capital?
- Talk to me about the European landscape when it comes to the startup ecosystem, what makes you excited about it?
- What’s your definition of Series A? How do you think about that stage?
- What are milestones that a startup has to achieve in order to raise a Series A?
- What are some qualities you like to see in founders?
- Since the United States is such a big market, you can create a massive business in the United States alone. I imagine it must be harder to scale in Europe since you’re dealing with many countries.
- What are some consumer trends that you are excited about?
- Has COVID changed some of your thesis’ around certain trends?
- Has it been harder establishing conviction amongst founders since you have to meet with them remotely?
- I recently had on Ezra Galston, who runs Starting Line, a VC fund out of Chicago. He mentioned that deals are getting done really quickly, almost at pre-COVID pace. Is this the same in Europe?
- What’s one thing that you would change about venture capital?
- What’s one company you had an opportunity to invest in, didn’t and in retrospect wish you did?
- What’s your most recent investment and what makes you excited about it?
- What’s one book that inspired you personally and one book that inspired you professionally?
- What’s one piece of advice that you have for B2C founders?